Golf Ontario COVID-19 Updates

UPDATE: COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
March 27, 2020


We are all in this together


I wanted to take the opportunity to talk directly, and authentically, to each and every one of you to share my thoughts on Golf Ontario’s decisions in the face of the ongoing COVID-19 situation.


Hopefully my message was helpful in sharing our stance on many of our upcoming activities. If you are not able to watch it or need more context, the rest of this note will provide that.


The COVID-19 challenge continues to evolve extremely rapidly. Since our last update on March 13, there have been many significant developments in the fight against this virus, including:


  • Postponement of the Tokyo Olympics, virtual closing of the Canada-US border, and the CDC advising against gatherings of 50 or more people for the next 8 weeks
  • The announcement yesterday by the government of Ontario that they have mandated the closure of all non-essential workplaces


We continue to closely monitor the rapidly changing developments and to try and make the right decisions for the health and safety of not only our organization but also for all of our stakeholders as well.


With this in mind, since our last update of March 16, we have taken the following actions:

  • We have postponed the Jr. Boys and Jr. Girls Spring Classic events
  • We have postponed the Ada McKenzie and the Ontario-Michigan Senior Matches
  • We have postponed the Men’s Better-Ball Championship
  • We have postponed the Ontario Golf Hall of Fame Induction ceremony
  • We have also temporarily suspended the process for registrations for any qualifiers.


We also know that things can change daily, if not hourly. Our teams have been working tirelessly to re-work our Championship schedule as new information comes available, and we will continue to closely evaluate our other upcoming Championships to determine the appropriate course of action. Golf Ontario is committed to continuing to communicate these changes in a timely and transparent manner.


We are all in this together and believe golf is well positioned to emerge and thrive when the time is right for Canadians to return to recreational normalcy.


Mike Kelly, PGA
Executive Director, Golf Ontario





UPDATE: COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
March 25, 2020


Golf Ontario stands together with the other NAGA and provincial WE ARE GOLF partners in supporting the following statement




UPDATE: COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
March 16, 2020


This is an update on the actions Golf Ontario has taken with respect to concerns over the COVID-19 and to assure you that Golf Ontario is doing everything we can to support our stakeholders through this difficult time. Emails have gone out with much of this information already to many of our key stakeholder groups.


As an organization, we want to play our part in flattening our communities curve of exposure to the virus and put in place new precautionary measures while we make decision informed by the latest science-based information.


There are new developments and information coming forward daily, and some in cases hourly (i.e. school closures, LPGA/PGA TOUR postponement of events, US-Europe travel restrictions and NBA/NHL/MLB postponement of its season along with regular updates and mitigating precautions from health and government officials, etc.). We

continue to update our policies and evaluate our operational activities.


Update on Activities


Golf Ontario has an internal team meeting regularly to discuss this evolving situation and to make wise decisions.

  • The development of contingency plans, both for operational and for risk mitigation purposes.
  • Regular consult with Golf Canada, Canadian Olympic Committee Chief Medical Officer and the Ontario Ministry of Sport.
  • Monitoring updates and identified precautions from national and local health organizations including Health Canada and Toronto Public Health.
  • Encouraging all staff and volunteers to practice precautions, especially identified travel precautions which include continuing to monitor one’s own health, practice social distancing and hand washing, and to contact a health professional should they develop any symptoms


Golf Ontario Precautionary Measures Implemented Thus Far:

  • Taking the lead from Golf Canada, we have cancelled all business travel until at least April 6
  • Any personal travel outside of Canada by any staff to be reported to Golf Ontario HR including over the upcoming March break.
  • Work from home precautions for staff. We have mandated that all staff work from home between March 16 and April 5th.
  • We will also be mandating that all staff in-person meetings that have been scheduled be transitioned to conference calls or postponed if necessary


Can-Am Matches:

In consultation with the South Carolina Golf Association and the Canadian Olympic Committee Chief Medical Officer, we have made the decision to cancel the Can-Am matches scheduled for next week in Myrtle Beach.


Upcoming workshops/Meetings/Events:

There are a number of Rules Exams and World Handicap Seminars as well as Officials Days on the calendar. In the short term, we will not be delivering those in person and are working with our various partners to determine the best method of delivering these sessions. Options may include: a) delivering some of the sessions by way of webinars or videos; or b) postponing some or all of the sessions. We will keep you informed of any changes to delivery methods or dates as we make these decisions. Many of these meetings may involve our facilities directly. We trust that you understand the need to adjust these meeting plans during this challenging time.


Upcoming Championship Season

Golf Ontario is proactively monitoring the situation and will gauge potential future decisions regarding our 2020 Championship season on confirmed information as the situation evolves in the weeks to come.