Weather Cooperates for the Round of 64 & 32 at the 2021 Ontario Junior (U19) Boys’ & Girls’ Match Play
Thornton, ON – A light misting of rain greeted the first day of competition at the 2021 Ontario Junior (U19) Boys’ and Girls’ Match Play Championship. With the weather cooperating throughout the day at Tangle Creek G&CC, players were able to complete the Round of 64 and Round of 32.
The Junior Boys’ Match Play competed over 36-holes of golf today, with the Round of 64 starting at 8:00 a.m. this morning and the Round of 32 teeing off at 1:34 p.m. this afternoon. Past Golf Ontario champions making it through to the Round of 16 include 2021 Ontario Junior Boys’ Champion, James Newton (Royal Ottawa GC), 2021 Ontario Junior Spring Classic and Ontario Juvenile Boys’ Champion, Owen Kim (Blue Springs GC), as well as 2020 Ontario Juvenile Boys’ Champion, Andreas Diogenous (Whistle Bear GC).
Following the Boys’ Round of 64, the Junior Girls’ Match Play took to the course at 12:30 p.m. today with a split start tee time, to play out the Round of 32. Previous Golf Ontario champions making it through to the Round of 16 include 2021 Ontario Junior Girls’ Champion, Peyton Costabile (Whistle Bear GC), 2021 Ontario Juvenile Girls’ Champion, Joline Truong (Trafalgar G&CC), and 2021 Ontario Bantam Girls’ Champion, Shauna Liu (Station Creek GC).
The Round of 16 gets underway at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, with the Boys teeing it up first. The Girls take to the course at 9:04 a.m.. The Quarter-Finals/ Round of 8 will take place later in the afternoon, with tee times to be found on our Golf Genius pages. For Ontario Junior (U19) Boys Match Play Championship information, visit our Golf Genius page. Information for the Ontario Junior (U19) Girls Match Play Championship can be found on our Golf Genius page here.
About the Ontario Junior Boys & Girls (U19) Championship
The Junior Boys’ Match Play Championship has been contested since 1998 featuring Ontario’s top 16 amateur male golfers age 18 and under. The field is determined by results from four qualifiers. Notable past champions include Matt McQuillan, Justin Shin, Stephane Dubois, and Jon Boncoddo.
The Ontario Junior (U19) Girls Match Play Championship is contested annually and features Ontario’s top 16 amateur female golfers age 18 and under. Players can earn their way into the championship through the Jr. Girls Spring Classic and the Ontario Jr. Girls Championship. Notable past champions include Alena Sharp, Stefi Markovich, Christina Yoon, Elizabeth Tong and Grace St-Germain.
Stay Connected on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook: @TheGolfOntario
To stay informed on Golf Ontario’s championship play, events, and additional updates, make sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and like us on Facebook. Make sure to visit our website for further information.
Key Provincial Competitions Protocols/Restrictions (as of September 22nd, 2021)
- Ontarians will need to be fully vaccinated (two doses, plus 14 days) and provide their proof of vaccination along with photo ID to access certain public settings and facilities.
- The Ontario Government has indicated that as of September 22, valid proof of vaccination will include either the paper or PDF vaccine receipt (received following 2nd shot), along with a government-issued photo ID.
- Proof of vaccination IS required for:
- Indoor Golf Simulators
- Indoor Dining
- Indoor Sports and Recreation Facilities
- Indoor Meeting and Events Spaces
- The Ontario Government has indicated that there are exceptions:
- Individuals who cannot receive the vaccine due to medical exemptions will be permitted entry with a doctor’s note until recognized medical exemptions can be integrated as part of a digital vaccine certificate.
- Children who are 11 years of age and younger and unable to be vaccinated will also be exempted from these requirements.
- You can find more information in this Ontario Government News Release.
For more information please contact:
Assistant, Marketing Communications, Golf Ontario;
Manager, Marketing and Communications, Golf Ontario;