August 6-12, 2017
The 2017 Canada Summer Games will be hosted from August 6-12 at Southwood Golf and Country Club in Winnipeg, Manitoba. First contested in 1969, the Games are a multi-sport and cultural event that brings together the best athletes and artists age eighteen and younger from each Canadian province and territory. The golf championship consists of both an individual championship and team championship within the same competition. A separate division for boys and girls exists in both the individual and team championship. In order to be eligible for participation in golf competition at the Canada Summer Games an athlete must be under 19 years of age as of the last scheduled round of the golf competition (ie must have a birth date of August 9, 1994 or later). The format of the Canada Summer Games is a 72 stroke play championship. The individual medalists will be determined by the lowest aggregate individual score over the 72 holes. For the team championship the best 2 out of 3 individual scores for each Provincial Team will count for the team score each day. The team medalists will be determined by the aggregate sum of the four daily team scores.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO ON THE 2017 CANADA SUMMER GAMES.
Golf was included as a sport in the Canada Summer Games for the first time in 2009. The golf championships at the 2009 Canada Summer Games were held at Brudenell River Golf Course in Prince Edward Island. Ontario took home the bronze medal in the Boy’s Team Championship and a silver medal in the Girls Team Championship. In the individual competition Augusta James took home the sole individual golf medal for Ontario with a silver medal in the girl’s championship.
Process for Team Ontario Selection for 2017 Canada Summer Games
The 2017 Canada Summer Games team will consist of 3 males and 3 females under the age of 19 as of August 1, 2017.
In order to be selected to Team Ontario in 2017 athletes must be:
- a member in good standing at Golf Ontario
- have unquestioned status as an amateur golfer
- be a permanent Ontario resident
- athletes must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada
- be under 19 years of age as of the last day of the golf tournament - August 13th, 2017
- Work ethic, behaviour, and team compatibility
The Ontario team for the 2017 Canada Summer Games team will consist of 3 males and 3 females. The selection of Team Ontario for the event will be based on the following performance indicators and events;
- 2017 Canada Summer Games Prep Camp - testing data and scores will be considered in selection
- 2017 Ontario Junior Spring Classic
- 2017 Future Links, driven by Acura Ontario Championship
- 2017 Future Links, driven by Acura BC Championship
- 2017 Future Links, driven by Acura Quebec Championship
- 2017 Ontario Junior Girls and Boys Championship
- 2017 International Invitational Events
- 2017 Ontario Order of Merit up to July 20th, 2017
A long list of athletes who have the potential to make up Team Ontario at the 2017 Canada Summer Games will be submitted to the committee on June 23rd, 2017. The final team will be chosen no later than July 7th, 2017 and submitted to the committee.
Canada Summer Games Elite Prep Camp
The top junior boys and girls from Ontario have been invited to participate in the Canada Summer Games Elite Prep camp. This camp will serve as the first look at the potential athletes that can be selected to the 2017 Canada Summer Games team for Ontario. The camp will take place at Grand Niagara Golf Club on April 22 and 23, 2017. The two day camp will consist of physical and technical testing along with 2 rounds of 18 holes.