The Ontario Athlete Assistance Program (OAAP) is administered by the Government of Ontario, through the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport. Given the title, Quest for Gold, this program is designed to provide financial aid to Ontario athletes in their pursuit of athletic excellence at the highest level of national and international competition. Golf as a sport has been a part of this program since 2008. This program mimics the carded athlete system that exists for Olympic athletes. Under the OAAP guidelines financial aid is granted to athletes through the distribution of Ontario cards. The GAO has been allocated a maximum of six Ontario cards (3 for male athletes and 3 for female athletes) to distribute to qualified athletes. Applications for the OAAP are made to the Golf Ontario in the fall of each year. The selection committee at Golf Ontario will recommend athletes to the OAAP for Ontario Card Designation. The Ontario Card Program runs annually from April 1st to March 31st and all athletes must reapply each year. The dollar value of the Ontario cards is set annually by Sport and Recreation Branch of the Ministry of Health Promotion.
ATHLETE SELECTION CRITERIA
In accordance with the OAAP guidelines, GOLF ONTARIO develops sport-specific selection criteria and forms a Selection Committee that will apply these criteria. The top-ranked athletes, based on the criteria, will be awarded Ontario Card status in 2015-2016. The following sport specific athlete selection criteria will be utilized by the Golf Ontario in the identification, ranking and selection of athletes for Ontario Cards: In order to be considered for nomination for an Ontario Card the athlete must:
- Be a Member of Golf Ontario and not subject to any disciplinary process or sanction of the Association.
- Adhere to the Golf Ontario Code of Conduct
- Be a member of 2015/2016 Team Ontario program or 2015/2016 Golf Canada National Development Team
- Be a permanent resident of Ontario (residency is defined as having your primary residence in Ontario and holding a current OHIP card).
- Be under 19 years of age as of August 1, 2016
Cards will be distributed in order of selection ranking to 2015/16 National Development Team followed by members of the 2015/2016 Team Ontario program. Selection ranking will be based on the following performance factors:
- Scoring differential average from 2015 tournament results from events eligible for Golf Canada ranking points
- Tournament handicap from 2015 Tournament results from events eligible for Golf Canada ranking points
- 2015 Golf Ontario Juvenile Order of Merit standing (if applicable)
- 2015 Golf Ontario Junior Order of Merit standing
- 2015 Golf Ontario Amateur Order of Merit standing
- 2015 Golf Canada CN Future Links National Junior Order of Merit standing
- 2015 Golf Canada National Amateur Order of Merit standing
- Head to Head results from 2015 Tournament Rounds from events eligible for Golf Canada ranking points
- Data from Golf Ontario Coaches/Staff from observing and evaluating athletes in competition
- Work ethic, behaviour, and team compatibility
- Performance potential trends
- Trackman data and Shot-by-Shot data
The Minimum Performance Threshold for an Ontario athlete to be recommended for carding would be as follows:
For Males: Must meet at least 2 out of 3 of the following criteria for tournament results from the 2015 golf competitive season:
- Have a gross tournament scoring average of equal to or less than 76.5 strokes
- Have a differential scoring average of equal to or less than 3.5
- Have a tournament handicap of equal to or less than 1.0
For Females: Must meet at least 2 out of 3 of the following criteria for tournament results from the 2015 golf competitive season:
- Have a gross tournament scoring average of equal to or less than 79.5 strokes
- Have a differential scoring average of equal to or less than 6.5
- Have a tournament handicap of equal to or less than 2.0
Breaking a Tie:
In the case where player results indicate that the athlete selection ranking is tied, the tie breaking procedure will be head-to-head comparison of individual tournament round results.
For more information on the Ontario Athlete Assistance Program, please click on the following link:
2015-2016 Quest for Gold – Ontario Athlete Assistance Program
Draft List of Ontario Card Nominations Announced!
Golf Ontario is pleased to announce a draft list of athletes and alternates who have been nominated for Ontario Cards under the 2015-2016 Quest for Gold - Ontario Athlete Assistance Program (OAAP). The athletes nominated were selected using the sport specific selection criteria developed by the Golf Association of Ontario, approved by its Board of Directors and applied by (the) Selection Committee.
Male Cards (all are full cards)
Male Card Alternates – listed in order
Female Cards (all are full cards)
Female Card Alternate
Please note that this list is unofficial and is subject to change pending the outcome of any appeals and/or any re-selection decisions made by the PSO/MSO Selection Committee or the Quest for Gold Appeals Committee. As a consequence, this list should not be seen as final.
Athletes who have not been nominated and who wish to appeal this decision can do so by following the process set out in the Selection Criteria document.
PLEASE NOTE that all decisions of the Appeals Committee are final.